Thursday, October 20, 2016

Weird Fruit.


Today I went to get some vegetables and fruits. There are many traditional markets around my apartment it takes 7 minutes by walking. I like visit traditional markets here in Chongqing, they have many kinds of fresh vegetables, fruits, and spices, however is so difficult to find Indonesian or South Asia spices in here such as Galangal, Lemongrass, kafir lime leaf and etc. When I'm lucky enough sometimes I can find some herbs at the supermarket that selling exports food products, and also I can actually ask my Chinese friends to help me to buy spices like Galangal through online.

As today was raining, I decided to go to supermarket just beside the traditional market to buy some vegetables and some fruits. Two days ago I saw some weird fruit in the supermarket, it has yellow and some green color (probably yellow color is the ripe one), it has spike just look like Sea Cucumber. I'm curious how does it tastes ?? and I bought one of it. 1 piece of this fruit cost ¥13 or about $2 or 25.000 rupiah (expensive! For small fruit that I never been tasted) and I bought one anyway.

As I arrived home, I started to Google it and found it!. This weird fruit called Kiwano; strange Melon and Cucumber relatives, originally from New Zealand (no wonder it's expensive). Finally my curiosity got the best of me and I tasted it... its a bit sour no sweet at all (hope I wasn't lucky enough picking up the unsweet one) its just  similar to Cucumber with  many seeds inside and the texture is a bit mushy, more or less the texture just like passionfruits with more water in it.  After all it wasn't bad to tasted it and I kept half in my refrigerator and will enjoy it tomorrow after workout.

Tammie.Bie


Photo credit by Tami
Kiwano, photo credit by Tami



















No comments: